Everything about TikTok Filters (Find, use...)
What is a TikTok filter? Definition?
A TikTok filter allows you to add content when recording a video with 2D and 3D elements using augmented reality. This way, you can integrate elements into your real environment before even making your video or photo since they are added to the interface of your camera directly in the TikTok application.
What is Augmented Reality?
TikTok Filters Possibilities
Face Animation filters are TikTok filters that rely on movements or actions of the face and head to activate animations. A TikTok effect using face animation allows for a multitude of different filters.
Roulette filters on TikTok allow you to scroll through many answers and display one randomly. This is a very popular TikTok effect and one that is widely used by creators as it allows for funny situations.
3D visualisation offers many possibilities for brands that sell online. It allows users to try a product virtually directly on the TikTok application through a TikTok effect.
Immersive packaging is a TikTok effect that animates the packaging or products through image recognition or QR code scanning. Immersive packaging allows the user to travel to a specific universe.
The AR game filters are very popular and invite users on TikTok to play with augmented reality. This TikTok effect is widely used for challenges and challenges and offers the possibility to interact with the brand's universe.
Is virtual try-on on feet and wrists available? New?
Tracking is the technology that recognises and tracks users' body parts. This feature will therefore allow products to be tried on the feet and wrists. Foot tracking is already available on Instagram and Snapchat and has already proved its worth for brands that want to increase their conversion rate through try-on on social networks. For example, a brand will be able to offer users to try on their shoe collection directly on the application thanks to a TikTok effect. Similarly for wrists, it will be possible to try on bracelets or watches directly on oneself. For the moment, Effect House has not yet announced the official release date but it could happen soon.
Where to Find TikTok Filters? Search?
1. Find TikTok filters by creating a TikTok
The first way to find a TikTok filter is simply in the video creation tools. Indeed, when you press the button to create a video, the TikTok filter gallery is located at the bottom left.
Once in the effects catalog, you can simply browse through the filters that are categorized and discover all the possibilities. There are 12 different categories which are:
- Trending TikTok filters
- The new TikTok filters
- Fun TikTok filters
- Interactive TikTok filters
- TikTok atmosphere filters
- TikTok beauty filters
- AR universe TikTok filters
- TikTok green screen filters
- TikTok filters with accessories
- TikTok filters with animals
- TikTok editing filters
- TikTok filters for events
In order to offer original content to users of the application, TikTok has a very large library of TikTok filters. Sometimes it can be difficult to find a specific filter or explore all the effects that might appeal to you. Thus, the TikTok giant has decided to help content creators find their way around. Here are the various ways to find a TikTok filter.
2. Exploring TikTok filters
To offer original content to the users of the application, TikTok has a vast library of TikTok filters. Sometimes it can be difficult to find a specific filter or explore all the effects that could appeal to you. Therefore, the giant TikTok has decided to help content creators find their way around. Here are the various ways to find a TikTok filter.
3. On videos in your feed
4. On the profile of the TikTok filter creator
When a creator publishes a new TikTok filter, a gallery is created on their profile. This gallery is symbolized by a small magic wand that gives you access to the gallery tab. For example, if you like a creator's style, you can subscribe to them and receive notifications when they publish a new filter.
Use a TikTok filter? How?
First of all, you need to have selected your TikTok filter. To do this, you must have searched for it. Once on the filter, the TikTok app opens either the front or back camera, depending on the augmented reality experience in your TikTok filter. For example, if the filter's principle is to display 3D elements in the user's environment, the phone's default camera selected will generally be the rear camera. In the case of a roulette filter, the phone's front camera will be selected.
Generally, TikTok filters can be activated using triggers. There are different types of triggers available on the TikTok app:
- The user's finger touches a specific point on the screen.
- The finger remains pressed on the screen
- Finger touches the screen anywhere
- The user starts recording the video
These different types of triggers allow to trigger an augmented reality experience. For example, the TikTok filter can change the color of the user's hair.
Usually, TikTok filter creators integrate an instruction at the beginning of the augmented reality experience that will allow the user to understand the action they must take to trigger the filter.
What is a TikTok challenge/trend? Definition?
TikTok is the social network that allows users to create content that can quickly become viral. TikTok challenges and trends are formats that are widely adopted by users and generate the most engagement. These can include challenges related to music, sports, dancing or lip-syncing. Because TikTok trends are adopted by many users, it is very easy for users to see challenge videos appear on their "For You" page.
Top 3 Best TikTok Challenges 2023
You're It Challenge
Make Up challenge
TikTok filters allow brands and users to easily participate in trends and challenges. These are tools that can inspire creators and give free rein to their imagination. When creating a TikTok filter, you need to make sure that your effect can be widely replicated and that it does not limit users.
Why are TikTok effects an advantage for brands? Benefits?
Why go through our agency specialized in TikTok filters?
Our agency specializes in creating TikTok filters and supports you throughout your projects! Our tech teams have already created hundreds of filters for social media and have acquired strong expertise. With more than 700 filters created since the creation of Filter Maker, TikTok filters hold no secrets for our developers.
Today, brands must create a real connection with their community. This is why integrating TikTok filters is essential as they offer content that allows for interaction. Going through our agency is a solution that will make the process of creating a TikTok filter simpler and faster. Our expertise will allow you to offer a filter that corresponds to your community and your needs.
How much does a TikTok filter cost? Price?
The price of a TikTok effect varies according to several parameters defined beforehand as well as the interlocutors. Here we will only talk about the prices set up by our agency Filter Maker. The minimum price is 1000€. in our agency. Here is the list of parameters to be taken into account.
Imagination and creation of elements to integrate into the TikTok filter
Integration and optimization of AR graphical elements
Creation and organization of interactions to make the filter more dynamic
The other parameters that can affect the price of a TikTok filter
- Deadline: Our agency defines a production schedule in order to optimise project management. So, if the deadline is short enough, we will have to modify the schedule and therefore modify the programme of our creative teams and developers.
- Project management: for each TikTok filter project, we draw up a backlog to manage the feedback loops. We therefore define a detailed specifications document to ensure specific elements are taken into account from the beginning to avoid increasing costs during the TikTok filter creation process.
Make a TikTok filter? How?
How to make a TikTok filter on Effect House:
- Hand Gesture: it will allow you to create a filter where hand and finger movements can be tracked.
- Cloth Try On: With this template, you can offer a virtual clothing try-on through body part recognition.
- 3D Face Mask: This template uses face recognition and gives you the ability to superimpose 2D assets on the face.
- Head Tracker: if you want to create a filter with 3D accessories (beanies, hats...), this template will help you track the user's head.
- Face Morph: it allows you to modify the morphology of the face (eyes, nose, mouth...).
- Character Drive: This type of filter allows you to superimpose a 3D character and make it dynamic through the recognition of the user's body movements.
- Face Inset: It allows you to insert the user's face into a 2D or 3D element.
- Music Band: This template allows you to create a filter where the user can create music using interactive elements.
- Audio Resource
- Audio Resource Controller
- Audio Player Controller
- Beats Detection
- Detection Output
- Onset Detection
- Pitch Detection
- Spectrum Detection
- TikTok Sound
- Volume Detection
- Body Detection
- Do N
- Do Once
- Finger Touch 1-Point
- Screen Hold
- Screen Pan
- Screen Tap
- Video Record
- Gesture Detection
- Hand Gesture examples
- Hand Detection
- Face Info
- Pet Face Info
- Head Movement Detection
- Face Avatar Result
- Face Detection
- Facial Movement Detection
- Face Avatar Drive
- Facial expression detection
- Pet Face Detection
- Greater or equal
- Greater than
- Loss or equal
- Less than
- Logic select
- Normalize to Range
- Get system time
- Get time
- Wait for seconds
- Set Transform
- Angle Between
- Local Transform Info
- Look At
- Rotate Around
- Screen to World
- World to Screen
- World Transform Info
- 3D Animation Controller
- Animation Sequence Controller
- Color Space Converter
- Continuous Snapshot
- Data Convert
- Effect Resolution Info
- Get Enabled
- Get Item from Array
- Get Visibility
- Image Tap
- Make Array
- Point in Rect
- Rect Overlap
- Set Enabled
- Set Visibility
- Transit by Time
- Vertex to Rect
Publish a TikTok filter? How?
Step 1: Download Effect House
Step 2: Create your vignette
Safe area: 144 x 144 px
Export size: 162 x 162 px
Using a template :
Step 3: Create your demo video
The demo video is necessary to publish a TikTok filter. Indeed, it is a file that will be analyzed by TikTok moderators to see if your filter complies with TikTok's rules and policies. The video should therefore showcase all the features of your filter so that TikTok teams can assess its compliance.
Ratio: Portrait (9:16)
Format: MOV or MP4
File Size: Max 32 MB
Video Duration: Max 15 seconds
You have two ways to create your demo video.
With your computer
As explained above, the demo video will not be public. Therefore, you can simply create your video using the video templates from Effect House. You have the option to choose from different profiles that replicate specific movements or actions to simulate the animations present in your TikTok filter. For example, if your effect requires the person to tilt their head to activate an animation, you can choose a video template where the person tilts their head.
- Open Effect House and click on "Open Project"
- Open your TikTok filter file
- Click on "Screen record" and then download your video
With your smartphone
Creating your own demo video with your smartphone allows you to showcase complex animations that are difficult to illustrate using the software's template videos. This way, you can truly demonstrate the logic behind an effect so that the moderators can understand the mechanics.
- Open Effect House and click on "Open Project"
- Open your TikTok filter file
- Click on "Preview in TikTok" at the top right
- Then open the TikTok application and scan the QR code
- Record a demonstration video
Step 4: Publish your TikTok filter
After preparing all the assets, you can now publish your filter. Creating your publication elements in advance allows you to be more efficient when publishing your TikTok filter. Here are the detailed steps.
Go back to your project on Effect House and click on "Submit" in the top right corner.
Choose a filter name that describes the theme of your TikTok filter to help users understand its mechanism. It will appear wherever your filter is present and can be modified after its publication.
The name of your TikTok filter must be a maximum of 20 characters including spaces and must not be the same as any other filter on your TikTok account.
Effect Hint is a brief instructional phrase that appears when a user tries a TikTok filter. This hint helps to understand how to interact with the effect and thus facilitates its use. For example, if the filter's animations are triggered by tapping the screen, choose the Effect Hint "Tap Screen". Furthermore, if the filter does not require any action, choose "None".
- Choose a category
- Select "None" in "Challenge".
- Choose tags that describe your filter
- Add comments if necessary
- Import your demo video and click on "Submit".
Step 5: Validation by moderators
Once you have published your effect, the moderators will analyze the content of your filter. Like all social media platforms, creators and users must adhere to the platform's policies and rules. Therefore, the validation process for your publication request may take a few days. After that, you will receive a notification explaining whether the filter has been approved and published or not. In the case of a negative response, you will be provided with detailed reasons for the refusal so that you can modify your filter and resubmit your publication request.
The filter policies to adhere to on TikTok? Regulations?
Content requirements for filters :
TikTok filter size limit :
Respect for others :
How to promote your TikTok filter? Strategy?
Promoting your TikTok filter organically
- Regularly post content showcasing your TikTok filter to ensure its visibility.
- Videos explaining the filter mechanism.
- Share videos providing examples to inspire users.
- Create a trend or challenge around your effect to increase its usage
- Create hashtags and a challenge around your filter.
- Create content for other digital touchpoints to announce the release of the filter (other social media platforms, website).
- Share content that highlights the use of your TikTok filter. Don't forget to include a call to action to facilitate access to the TikTok filter.
- Print the QR code of your TikTok filter to promote it in your stores or on brochures.
- Use specially designed displays to encourage visitors to use the filter.
Promoting your TikTok filter through paid advertising
- Run an influencer campaign about your filter to expand the audience.
- Influencers use the TikTok filter and invite users to do the same.
- The influencer campaign can be done on TikTok and on Instagram to increase the audience.
- Create TikTok ads to promote the release of your new filter.
- Post videos and tutorials to invite users to try the filter.
- If you have done an influencer campaign, reuse his videos.
Promoting your TikTok filter is crucial and should not be neglected. It is important to leverage both organic and paid channels to ensure you achieve your goals. Paid promotion is not mandatory, but it can be highly effective in the short term.
What are the statistics of a TikTok filter? Engagement?
Statistics on the content published on social media platforms are crucial to measure the impact of your campaign. With these statistics, you can analyze and understand what elements have worked and what hasn't.
TikTok filters have separate statistics from other content since their usage is different. Therefore, it is important to understand them properly and avoid confusion with other statistics.
- Views : Number of views of videos on TikTok that use the effect
- Posts : Number of videos on TikTok that use the filter
- Plays : Number of times the filter has been opened (i.e. clicked) in the effects gallery
- Likes : Number of times videos with the effect have been liked on TikTok
- Shares : Number of times videos with this filter have been shared on TikTok.
There are many TikTok filters in the app, so it can sometimes be difficult to find a filter you saw in a video. To do this, when you search for a TikTok effect, you can enter keywords that characterize the effect. Another way is to visit the creator's profile, which contains a gallery of all their effects.
- The TikTok application highlights popular filters or those that are part of a trend or challenge. The choice of popular filters is based on the number of times the filter is used and the number of views it generates.
- The second reason is the fact that companies can choose to invest in TikTok ads to showcase their TikTok filter quickly.
Using TikTok filters is free. The social media platform has made this choice to allow creators to produce unique and original content. TikTok effects are tools that provide video ideas to continue feeding the app with entertaining content.
- You're it challenge by Nike
- Max Factor Make up Challenge
- Kulosa Challenge of Kulosa
When a user/creator creates a filter, a tab appears on their profile with all the filters they have made. If you want to stay updated when your favorite creator publishes a TikTok filter, you can follow them, and you will receive videos with their effects directly in your "For You" feed.
When you capture a video or photo with a TikTok filter, you cannot remove the applied filter afterward. Since TikTok effects are augmented reality overlays that are directly added to your environment, they cannot be removed later. The only way to remove a TikTok filter from your video is to retake the same video without using the TikTok filter.